MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Restart Anet8

Please Login to Comment

Just lost power on the Anet 8 printer 95% project down. Anyone know how to continue printing without project over?

I invested in a cheap backup power supply just for my printer, as the power can go out from time to time where I live. It gives about a half hour of power, which can help.

It won’t help anyone now . What about a battery backup ? It would take a good sized battery like a large deep cycle battery,

There's no way other than going in and modifying g-code yourself. I'll give you a rough idea: if you measure the print's height and calculate how many layers you've done, go into the gcode and delete from after the header up until that layer. You'll want to home but without hitting the print. Other option is to print again :(

Thanks for the assistance. Sounds a bit above my 3d printing ability. I thought you could restart as if it were paused. This was a 23 hr print session and had about 3 hrs left when the power failed. Again thanks for the help. I will start it over.

I've had to do this before. Knowing your layer heights and first layer height such as 0.2mm for both, you can measure the print, round to the nearest 0.2mm, open the gcode with notepad or Notepadd++, ctrl+f for Z80 for example, click so the cursor is in front of where it says ;LAYER:320 or whatever, use the scrollbar to to go to the beginning of the code, shift+click in front of the line after the start gcode, and back space what's highlighted.
My code looks like this, so you'd shift+click in front of ;LAYER_COUNT:460, leaving the last line before your Z80 line as the end of the start code. Depending on the size of your print you may want to home manually, then delete the G28 line and any Z move lines in your start code, and move the Z axis to 80mm manually, otherwise it may collide with your print.

;FLAVOR:Marlin
;TIME:16432
;Filament used: 2.11281m
;Layer height: 0.2
;MINX:86.356
;MINY:92.86
;MINZ:0.16
;MAXX:134.992
;MAXY:119.346
;MAXZ:36.88
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.1.0
M140 S50
M105
M190 S50
M104 S200
M105
M109 S200
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
G28 ;Home All
M501 ;Load EEPROM settings
M420 S1 ;Load Bed Leveling
G1 Z10.0 F3600 ;Extruder up 10mm
G92 E0
G1 F2000 E2
G92 E0
G92 E0
G1 F2400 E-3
;LAYER_COUNT:460
;LAYER:0
M107
G0 F3600 X90.59 Y99.154 Z0.2

Just wondering if you could take a look at the log file and find the error line in the G code and restart from there? If no error, maybe the last line that was processed.

Aww man that sucks. Stock Anets cannot automatically restore at all, as it keeps no record of where it is.
If you're doing big prints like this a lot, and you are prone to blackouts/brownouts, I'd invest in a UPS.

UPS: here's a jumping off point but don't limit yourself. They can be very expensive depending on your needs.
https://www.windowscentral.com/best-ups-3d-printer
They're basically huge batteries that charge up from the mains, and when the mains goes out instantly discharge - uninterrupted power.

I have the same question. I was printing a large project the other day and a storm cut power for a few seconds and I lost the print. I am pretty sure with a stock Anet A8 we can't pick up from the last known line.

See the post from PrinceOfCreation above. It can be done and it isn't all that hard. You can use a simple text editor to edit the file. After that just start a new print from that point and glue it all up. She'll be right!