MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Bed adhesion on Anet A8

Please Login to Comment

I recently purchased a Borosilicate glass plate. I used to use painters tape, but I decided it was time to make my life better. Anyhow, after trying to print several first layers I concluded that I had to do something about the adhesion. I thought of a few things:

1. Using (regular) hairspray
  2. cleaning with isopropyl
  3. buying a BuildTak plate (and if buy this, should I still use the Borosilicate?)

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do?
I print with PLA at a temperature of 200C, and I use a heated bed which is 50C.

Turn off your fans or lower them to 20% at the first 2 layers, and make sure you're close enough to the bed.

I have used glass for a awhile now, had some minor success using glue stick or diluted white glue as a bonding agent but.... I'll never do any of that mess again. What I have found works is to put a PEI sheet on top of the glass. It works WONDERFULLY. The glass makes the bed easy to get exceptionally level, and the PEI sheet takes care of the adhesion. For PLA I don't even need a heated bed. Parts stick very well - note that in the case pf PETG they can stick a bit too well sometimes. With PETG I usually have to put a little isopropyl alcohol at the base of the part for a moment to get it to release from the plate. I have no idea how buildtak works compared to PEI, but I really have no reason to try it.

Make sure you have the bed leveled correctly PLA likes a little squeeze, Everyone has a different idea of what works, try different thing and see what works for you. But try lowering the Z a bit and see what happens.

Glass is an insulator, meaning the heat from your bed will not transfer as well. Usually people turn the heat up with glass, often running PLA at 65C or so. Give that a shot. Otherwise, from what I've heard, adhesion should be great on glass even without heat. I use an Ultrabase so I don't have firsthand experience with plain glass.

Sorry amigo but you don't need a 65c bed to print PLA on glass. Even with bare glass if it's setup properly you can print PLA with no heat, or low heat. Even If you need to heat the bed for the filament, just let the bed preheat a bit longer before you start the print. Don't start the print until the bed has been at temperature for ten minutes or so to make sure the glass is hot. The glass will still match the temperature of the bed itself, it just takes longer for the glass to heat up.

Indeed, I heat up my Ultrabase well before I start printing to let it saturate. But like I stated, you should be able to get good adhesion without heat at all, so this leads me to believe bed leveling is likely the culprit.