MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Useful household items to print w/ TPU?

Please Login to Comment

Can someone that print with TPU on regular basis give me some ideas? What sort of items are useful to print with TPU for household use?

I think I’ve mastered PLA, ABS, and PETG... or at least at a level where I can successfully troubleshoot a lot of things quickly... so I think it is time for me to move on to others, more complicated materials, such as TPU and nylon etc... but I dont want to waste my time and materials on junks stuff. Perhaps you can give me some ideas on the things that you find useful to have for our everyday life so I can start from there..? Thanks!

I picked up some ninjaflex grass green about a month ago, which has a shore hardness of 85A, it sort of reminds me of O-ring cord stock. So far I've printed a cell phone case, solid infill buttons to go over tactile switches(these surprised me, they actually feel usable), leveling feet replacements, plug/strain relief for where my temp probe enters my dry box, a joy-con grip, and a lot of cable ties for various laptop chargers. I hear it's great for gaskets and seals, I might try using it for mold making.

These are great ideas, guys. Thanks. Ive been printing with hard materials since forever so my mind only trained on the use of hard plastics. Now Im starting to think differently every time I'm about to print something.... like will it be more beneficial if printed in flex than hard materials that it is designed for in the first place.. such as the joy-con grip (great idea, FlopSplash), I printed dozen of it with hard plastics =/ ... hmm maybe i can do something about the cables chain for my printers!

One money-saving/practical use I've found is replacing missing feet on electronics--I did so on my Commodore 64. Another use would be as part of a wallet. I did the band in Ninjaflex fire red and the wallet itself in black ABS. Another use would be in designing living hinges--create a square in your favorite CAD, adjust how sturdy and movable it will be by thickness, and subtract holes appropriately sized to your application. Another use is a soda can lid.

Minimalist Hard Wallet With Flexible Band
by jefbed
Soda can lid

These are things I've designed with TPU that I have posted on Thingiverse:

Windshield Washer Tank Cap
Assassin's Creed Logo Drink Coaster
Can Coozie to Bottle Adapter
RV Seat Belt Bolt & Trim Panel Cover
Propane Nut Thumbwheel

I find the flexibility of TPU to be very useful. I use 3D Best Q TPU.

Windshield Washer Tank Cap
Assassin's Creed Logo Drink Coaster
Can Coozie to Bottle Adapter
RV Seat Belt Bolt & Trim Panel Cover
Propane Nut Thumbwheel