MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Adafruit Product Models

Please Login to Comment

Adafruit is the greatest Open Source company in the world! They do a great job releasing Eagle CAD files to their Github page, but the other physical products don't get nearly as much love. It would be great to have their components modeled in 3D CAD so we can design custom enclosures around them.

I've made and posted a few models as well. Best bet is to search on "Adafruit" but I agree, it would be nice to see them creating mode 3D models. The problem, as with anything else, is getting in a format you can use. STL won't work well for things like Inventor when it comes to complimentary modeling because STL is dimensionless and doesn't have an object/feature hierarchy... You should check out Adafruit's 3D printing team - they post videos every Thursday about 3D printing. One of the latest was about creating a Fallout 4 Pipboy around a PiTFT screen and they included a rough model of the PiTFT and PI in that video.

EDIT: Here's the link to the Neopixel rings I modeled in Inventor. There are in STL format but I can upload the Inventor file if there's interest. These are simple models - just for sizing when building other models that use the rings - they are not meant to be perfect replicas. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1008386

NeoPixel Rings

Does that mean a designer is needed?

It would've been great if product pages on adafruit.com actually linked to 3D models if they exist.

I did model a few components and boards that I used in my projects.

I did use a digital caliper though - will try to dig up engineering drawings next time ;)

I certainly haven't checked all of their products, but many of Adafruit's products have data sheets that include detailed build drawings.

Just the other day, I used one to build a model of the large LED backlight panel to use as a placeholder in a prototype until the ordered product arrived. Worked like a charm, aside from the bit where there are little nubbin feet on the drawing, but not apparently on the product.

Coincidentally, a friend on Facebook told me today that McMaster-Carr has freely downloadable models for their products in various 3D formats. Things are getting exciting.

I believe they have a growing library of component models through 123D.