MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Motorized slider help! LOOKING FOR CODERS!

arduino stepper

Please Login to Comment

I want to make a motorized camera slider that would use standard Arduino components. I don't know that much about Arduino but I still understand what people talk about.

You can look at my picture that I made to try and get an understanding of what I want. It would be powered by a stepper motor with a timing belt. I would prefer to use a Arduino Nano but any microcontroller would work.

At the ends, there would be microswitches. I would have a potentiometer to control the speed in both directions. A 3 way rocker switch would have OFF, INFINITE, and ONE WAY. The normal position would be off. When switched to INFINITE, the slider would move to one side, hit the limit switch, then go to th other side, hit the limit switch, and repeat, until I turn it off (this would be for interviews or things like that.) Then, the other position (ONE WAY) would start where the position was last left off, then go to one side (determind by the potentiometer for speed and direction) and hit the limit switch, and then just stop. Also there might be a little "Reset button" which just moves the carriage to one side of the slider which would be defined as the "home position", similar to a 3D printer. The thing I need help with is the coding/wiring. I can't imagine this being that difficult to code for most people, and I am currently taking an Arduino course. These are the electronics I am thinking:

10K Potentiometer
Stepper motor
Stepper motor driver
Arduino-type board
2 limit switches
3 way rocker switch

So if anyone can help me, or need me to clarify stuf, please contact me!