MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Illustrator files

Please Login to Comment

Question for you guys, new to this software. Trying to import an .ai file into 3ds max 2016 to make a logo from 2d to 3d... I'm doing exactly what every youtube video and google walk through says, but it tells me that the file is an "improper format". Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hy try it to save in DWG file in adobe illustrator
3DS max import DWG file correctly ( select your layers)

always save it as an illustrator 8 file in illustrator. The importer for 3dsmax is a bit behind.

i saved it specifically with illustrator 8 and got the same message

Hmm, that's odd. Maybe there's something unusual in the file that Max doesn't like. You could try starting a new simple drawing just to test it (eg. just a square) and see if you can import that into Max. If that works then the problem might be caused by something in the logo (Names with special characters? Too many layers?).

Perhaps you could try a different file format. If you can export DXF files from Photoshop / Illustrator then 3ds Max should be able to import it as a spline. Otherwise you could try SVG. It's not natively supported by Max, but I've written a script to import SVG as splines. It's pretty basic, but you could try it if the above options fail.

Thanks so much, Ive tried to do the SVG but for some reason it doesnt even pop up for me to try to import it. I'll try the DXF and see what happens, thanks for you guys' help.

Yeah, Max doesn't have built-in support for SVG files which is why you won't see it in the list. I scripted a simple importer to do it. If the other options don't work I'll upload it somewhere for you.

well i got no where....im new to this kind of software and theres not very much help around online. any help would be great

Any luck using the SVG importer?

Try this... http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1239617

Let me know how it goes.

SVG Importer for 3ds Max
by 4MULE8

I think you need to save as an older version of the *.ai format before you can import it into 3ds Max. You should be able to select the version when you save the file in Illustrator.

I usually import SVG files into 3ds Max instead of *.ai files.

im using photoshop, and it doesnt give you an option of versions. But I did download illustrator quick to try it out, and even using the oldest format it gave me the same response

We've had it succeed by saving files as Version 8 at work.