MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Bitmap Troubleshooting

Please Login to Comment

Hi guys,

I have a rectangular box and I am trying to apply a bitmap to one face and only one face of the box. Every time I apply a bitmap to the face it applies it to the whole model. I tried UVW unwrapping but the problem is I don't have Photoshop so I can't create a custom bitmap. Basically I am trying to place a picture inside of a picture frame. I want the picture in the center and I want to wrap the frame with a bitmap of wood. I'm using 3DS Max 2017 if that helps

First you should convert the box to an editable poly, then you have to choose the whole object an give it (all faces) the Material-ID 1.

Select the EP and go to modify tab, click on "Editable Poly" an then on "Element", scroll down to "Material IDs" an set ID to 1.
Then click on "Polygon", choose the face that will have the map, scroll down again and give it the Mat-ID 2.

Now there are two ways to apply the map ... first, you select the face and simply drop the map onto it / second, you create a new multimaterial with two material IDs, apply it to the editable poly and put the map into slot 2.

That's it ... if you need to rotate or scale the map, give an UVW-Map-Modifier to the poly, or edit the values for U and V in the Material-Bitmap-Slot.

Thanks! I was using Edit Poly instead of Editable Poly. After converting to editable Poly I was able to just drag the material to the face I wanted.

Yes, that's one of the (Max-) mysteries that will never get solved:

Why does the Edit-Poly-Modifier provide other/less options/features than an Editable-Poly?!

;o)