MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Creative commons liscences and 3dhubs

Please Login to Comment

I get that Creative commons is sketchy anyway in regards to how binding it actually is. That being said, If I have a 3dhubs customer requesting I print something listed as non-commercial, is that generally accepted by the community as OK? I'm less concerned with legalities and more concerned about stepping on someone's toes

Exactly my concern. How then do I go about reaching that designer to make a collaborative deal to commercialize a design?

I'd second that.
Ive ran a hub and shared a few designs NC here.

From my perspective, I don't expect a hub to go around policing the files it gets. Thats somewhere between unreasonable and ludicrous (you might recognise say, the Pikachu posted below, but if its random widget X, how are you supposed to even know what it is, never mind find out what the licence is) Maybe Id expect you to get suspicious if they wanted 10s or 100s of them, but lets face it, its not really cost effective to do that as a 3dhubs customer imho.

As a creator, the reason I licence my stuff as NC is not to stop things getting printed. [If i didn't want people reprinting a design, i don't upload it. and i have several designs like that where I won't upload them, because they pay the bills and put food on the table]
But I licence it as noncommercial to stop (or at least put off) people printing multiple copies of that design wholesale and then profiting off my hard work in making the design. In the same way there are people out there that download images off deviant art or similar sites, slap them on a canvas and then resell at comic cons or similar, as if it was entirely their own work.

So to me, printing one for a hub customer is fine. Finding that design yourself, seeing the licence and then printing a run of a design is crossing the line and knowingly flouting/breaking the non-commercial licence.

Take a look at this Thing: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:376601 and take note of the non-comm. license, and the fact that you can 'Order This Printed' from 3D Hubs.

That is (or was for a time) one of THE most popular 3D models. Being able to Order it Printed is seemingly endorsed by Makerbot/Thingiverse, 3D Hubs, and I would hope the designer Flowalistik.

The point is, you are being compensated for your time and materials, which includes your prep/setup, supplies, electricity, PLA/ABS, wear & tear, depreciation of your machine, any cleanup and finishing work. These are all things that your customer either does not have or has found that it is more economically feasible to pay you for. To keep things legitimate, THEY should acquire the model and upload it to you of course, that way it was obtained by them and there is no appearance of impropriety. (You are not selling the design or model, they provided it to you.)

So long as you are not pre-printing and selling non-commercial, [or pretty much any Creative Commons licensed designs] you should be ok.

I have a few designs here and on some of the other popular sites. I try to share some designs back with the community that shares with me. Most of my designs are tagged CC Non-Comm or Share Alike. Personally, I have no problem if someone were to download one of my designs in Omaha and paid somebody locally to print it for them. One. If they ordered 100 that would be kind of rude. If the guy/gal doing the printing then decided to start selling prints on eBay, then yeah, my toes would be well stepped-on, but otherwise, one here, one there is what keeps the industry afloat.

My two cents. :)

Low-Poly Pikachu