MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Lets learn how to design your own Eric-style engine model

Please Login to Comment

Hello, as a proud Subaru owner I'm a big fan of the Eric's EJ20 model, but I have a Justy whitch have a EF12 engine (1.2l inline 3 cylinder)...
I have a Fusion360 and I never tryed to design something that complicated... Hope I started the right way - with the block...
I will use the same bearings as in the EJ20, M3 bolts (maybe with brass inserts on some places), maybe thicker magnets, GT2 timing belt, and same electric motor (but I'm not sure where to hide it), also I didn't find very good springs for the valves so I hope someone else got something cheap (from aliexpress would be cool)...
If anyone have any tips I will be very happy, I will also share anything I will find useful for others trying to design their engines :)

I think I can test the block with crank, connecting rods and pistons soon... I will enjoy it for about a week and then, I might post it as a WIP thing...

I'm a freshman in high school and I am looking to expand my knowledge in cad so I have taken on the challenge of designing a 1/3 scale car by my graduation year, I am currently using Autodesk inventor because it is what we learn and what I can get for free. first off should I use inventor or fusion cause I have access to the whole Autodesk suite. second off where are you guys getting the dimensions of the engines? is it real life or plans on the internet somewhere? cause I don't have access to the car quite yet?

I think anything should be good if you are familiar with it. I have never made a car body, but i think not every cad is perfect for modeling it... I did a full rebuild of the real EF12 and take a lot of pictures, lot of drawings from service manual and I have a lot of spare parts at home like gaskets etc. With the more complicated parts I started with a 1mm grid paper and a pencil...

I almost have the block done (maybe about 90% of work is done)
I hope the block, crank, connecting rods and pistons, will be ready for test print and assembly soon :)
(then I will upload it as a wip thing)
http://files.justy-garage-blog.webnode.sk/200000024-1a9e91b92e/14.png

I think my next step should be crank shaft to make necessary space inside the block...
http://files.justy-garage-blog.webnode.sk/200000016-08cbe09c63/05.png