MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Is there a way to add new primitives such as a tube?

Please Login to Comment

I had to select a solid cylinder, then select a second solid cylinder, then use the alignment tool, then the subtract function to create a tube. Is there a way to add primitives such as a tube to the current library for future use? A threaded rod or an inside thread such as the one inside a nut would be helpful as well. I know that I could create my own library, save it on my computer then import it but I'm looking for a way to integrate it into the program.

If you're ready to move on to a more professional 3D CAD environment, then my suggestion is Fusion 360. If you are a hobbyist or, I believe, a business less than 100K, the license is free. Get ready for a learning curve; but you'll never look back to 123D Design. Except for a quick, simple, one use design.

123D Design can import .step files; but one thing that it lacks is a thread tool. Many of McMaster Carr's threaded fasteners look like rivets until a thread is applied within Fusion 360.

There are other 3D CAD tools out there that are also free; but I have not tried them. I'm sure others here can make additional suggestions.

But to your original post: I know this doesn't answer the actual question; but, an easier way to create a tube is to sketch two concentric circles of OD and ID. Then extrude to the length you require.

I looked into Fusion 360 a while ago. There was a link to download it, but it asked for student & school information so I couldn't download it.

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists

One year license. Renewable each year. Of course, this could change in the future.

McMaster Carr has a lot the 3D models you can use like threaded rods. You have to go to the product details and import the 3D- Step model and it works great.

Thanks for your reply. This is good to know. I wanted to integrate these types of files into the program but I'm not sure if it's possible.

You can't change/add something to the program itself. But you can store it as a design and reload it for later use into your new model.

That's what I thought. Do you know if there's a primitives library online to download?

Don't really know. The most "primitive" primitives are already in 123D design. I don't know what you are missing. For a tube for example you use a larger and a smaller cylinder and just extract one from the other. The same if you need a box - large box, small box, substract. If you need to center the parts exactly one above the other you can select the part and press shift-D.

https://www.cmcss.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/123d-design-manual.pdf
The manual for 123D design said it had a primitive parts bin but was removed