MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Docking odd shaped objects?

Please Login to Comment

Hi gang; I've got a design where one part connects to another with a bead-and-socket connector. The trick is to draw the thing such that the bead lines up correctly with its mating socket. I'd like to 'snap' the two together but snap only seems to work with flat surfaces. Is there a way to do this?

I Have made a few ball and sockets projects and i have used the Material to color the socket to clear glass and the other object to a bright color, when the 2 objects are aligned the will have a checker effect all the way around. I then made and exact copy of my ball and increased the size a few mm then subtracted the outer ball from the socket to get a tight fit. I know you were expecting a snap to fit but this is the only way i have found.

Not sure if this will help, but when docking a sphere into a socket, I cut a small flat onto the front of the sphere. Then, using the magnet tool snap the flat to the back of the socket. Then, using the Move tool, back the sphere out the depth of the flat and any clearance. In my case the flat doesn't interfere with the operation of the ball and socket.

The other way would be to sketch the ball and socket. Then use revolve to create the solid. Then use the Align tool to align the axis of the two solids.

Good luck.

Nice build! I guess this is just the testing phase. You should of course place the aluminum plate with holes back, that is the cooling plate that makes sure that the top side of the hot-end stays cool enough.
Tip: drill a hole in the cooling plate at the exact location where the little hex-screw is that keeps the hot-end in place. Then you never need to unmount the whole thing when you want to remove the hot-end for cleaning. The screw is even accessible via the fan.

P.s: try adding a large washer below the latch to tighten the spring a bit when needed.