MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

need some help with something that sounds really simple

Please Login to Comment

hi, so im trrying to combine a couple of gears (32 tooth and 16 tooth to produce a compound spur gear) from this thing or group of things? www.thingiverse.com/thing:2679950. problem is im having to scale up which is ok, but i cant seem to get the gears to align or stack so that i can combine them and print them as one solid object. any ideas on how to do this? ive tried google but that hasnt helped at all!

Grayson change gears

hello

I think you will need to first convert the STL into a 3d object. Afterwards you will be able to combine the gears into a single object. You can do this in fusion360, check out this youtube video if you haven't come across it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IE7kKxdTFY&t=393s

You will need to "mesh to brep", afterwards you will be able to do extrude the centres to fill the hole, and with Fusion360, you will also be able to create panes to centre the gears. The vid above covers both examples.

Good luck!

thanks, about an hour after i posted i found a solution using tinkercad, that uses the overall sizes of the stl to center them on a build area and if you import 2 objects they both get centered (in my case one inside the other) so you can then manipulate the height from the build plate to the bottom edge and your done all but combining the objects and exporting back to your pc, really bloody simple actually.

well done, I am glad you figured it out.