Loading

MakerBot Print is our newest print-prepration software, which supports native CAD files and STL assemblies,
allows you to interact with all your printers via the Cloud, and many other exciting new features.

Download Now

Report as inappropriate

Well I finally squared my X and Y axis. It didn't work out quite as expected and the left of the front plate of my Y-axis is now raised off the table about 1mm, but appears to be working properly otherwise.

I thought I would document what I tried in case anyone has feedback that may help me or comes across the same problem.

I tried a few things to square it and they didn't work out quite as expected.

Method 1: Loosen frame, measure align and re-tighten each part of the frame

Using the first instructions of squaring all parts of the frame loosening bolts and re-tightening didn't really help. I had a few problems:
1) Measurement accuracy is difficult
I tried with tape measure, ruler, vernier calipers and string for different parts but I think there was still at least 1mm measurement error just trying to measure parts of the frame on the diagonal in particular. I considered super-gluing sewing pins to the frame to give accurate posts to measure between with string but didn't get around to trying that

2) After aligning everything I can get it to look ok, but then tightening it up and it just goes back to non-orthogonal

Method 2: Adjust just Y-carriage bolts

I then tried the idea of keeping the frame as it was tightened (and potentially unaligned), and just playing with adjusting the Y carriage bolts. But every time I tightened up the nuts on the M8 rod (particularly the rear ones), they would become perpendicular to the rear frame and non-orthogonal to the main frame/x-axis again.

I "think" the problem is that somehow the rear frame that the Y-Axis attaches to is not perpendicular to the main frame. I couldn't see this with measurements (measurement error) but was a hunch.

Method 3 (kind of worked): Space out rear frame

In the end my solution is not great and I wonder what other consequences it may have going forward.

I spaced out the rear frame with some plastic on one side (see attached photos).

This has also resulted in a problem I had earlier where the front right of Y-carriage (that sticks in front of the machine) is now raised about 1mm off the flat surface (See other photos where I have red plastic under it).

I used to have this same Y-axis problem where front left was raised 1mm off the bench and it was causing "grabbing/shuddering" of the bed as it moved in +Y direction. I am not seeing that now so maybe it is ok.